Cine Films (Transferred to Video)

Programme Notes

T.1
Old Time Market ( 1960 and 2010 - 15½ minutes )

This film was included in the programme at our Annual Film Show in the Harborough Theatre in 2010 to celebrate our 50th anniversary of film making in the Market Harborough area.
It records the final fund raising event held in the Town for the World Refugee Year Appeal, which covered the 12 months period from May 1959. As well as the Old Time Market on
The Square, which was opened by the Duchess of Rutland, an ox roast was held in the Cattle Market. It was filmed on 28th May 1960 on Kodak colour film and transferred to digital video, with sound added, in 2010.
Narrated by Len Holden
* * * * * * *

T.4
Two Way Stretch – Tug-o-War ( 1960 - 4½ minutes )

This tug-o-war contest across the River Welland in 1960 was staged to promote the film “The Two Way Stretch” which was showing in the Ritz cinema at the time. Cine film taken by members of the Cine Society has been used to make a short reminder of the event in those days. It was filmed on 2nd April 1960 on Kodak colour film and transferred to digital video, with sound added, in 2011.
Narrated by Len Holden
Re-edited by Colin Sullivan
* * * * * * *

T.13
Her Majesty the Queen’s visit – 1967 ( 11½ minutes )

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh visited the Town on the 12th May 1967 for the purpose of travelling by Royal train to Rugby. After arriving by car from Uppingham, they were introduced to civic leaders and railway officials on the station forecourt before boarding the train.
The film is narrated by the late Councillor Eric White, the Chairman of the Urban District Council at the time.
Filmed on 8mm Kodak colour film and transferred to digital video with its original soundtrack
re-synchronised, in 2011.
* * * * * * *

T.22
Moonshine            ( 9 minutes )
Made in 1967 and first shown at the Harborough Theatre on a film projector in November that year, it was shown there again in 2017 in digital video format. 
It is the only "fiction" film made by the Cine Society (now Movie Makers) and features an odd-job man who developed a secret "brew".  Filmed in the Society's meeting rooms at the Settling Rooms in the old Cattle Market and on locations around the town.
Filmed on Standard 8mm Kodachrome film and transferred to digital video in 2016 with the original sound track,
Narrated by the late Peter Johns
Written and Directed by Peter Wilford.       
* * * * * * *

T.28
Newsreel  1973                    ( 14 minutes )

A compilation of ten events relating to Market Harborough filmed during 1973 including :-
The Christmas lights in Church Street and Square.
A Kidney Dialysis Unit hoisted by crane over a house in Stuart Road.
Angel Street Car Park construction.
The Duke of Edinburgh's visit to Welland Park School
Selection of the Carnival Queen on stage at the Ritz cinema.
Part of the Carnival Parade on Saturday 16th June.
Filmed on Standard 8mm Kodak cine film by members of Market Harborough Cine Society.
Narrated by Bob Harris.
Transferred to digital video, with the original sound track, in 2016
* * * * * * *

T.29
This Was Libertyland - 1973        ( 10 minutes )    

A film recording the demolition of the oldest and newest parts of the Symington corset factory, including the removal of the bell tower which now stands in Welland Park.
Narrated by Chris Page
Filmed by Market Harborough Cine Society on 8mm Kodachrome colour film in 1973.
Transferred to digital video, with the original narration, in 2014
* * * * * * *

T.33.
The Doddridge Road Scheme  -  1973 - 1974        ( 8½ minutes )

A record of the work undertaken by the old Urban District Council to re-align Doddridge Road with Burnmill Road and to provide the adjacent car parks.   The film illustrates the difficulties in placing the new road and car park over the Congregational Chapel burial ground.
Filmed on Standard 8mm Kodachrome film by Peter Wilford and Roy Rippin for the Cine Society in 1973 and 1974.
Narrated by Peter Wilford.
Transferred to digital video, with the original sound track, in 2016
* * * * * * *

T.35
Town Affairs                ( 24 minutes )

A film made by Market Harborough Cine Society in 1974 highlighting the achievements of the Urban District Council from 1895 until the Harborough District Council took over in April 1974.   Until then, the Council administered the town, and Great and Little Bowden only.
Commentary by the late J. C. (Chris) Davies  (Author of the book "Town Affairs")
Production team - Roy Rippin : John Taberer : Jim Green : Peter Wilford
Directed and edited by Peter Wilford
Filmed on Super 8mm Kodachrome colour film and transferred to digital video with the original soundtrack in 2014
* * * * * * *

T.37
Town Magazine – 1976 ( 21 minutes )

A film from our archives transferred, with its original soundtrack, to digital video in 2010.
The film covers nine events in the town, including wind damage in January, lifting boats from the canal due to low water levels caused by the hot dry weather, the Carnival, and shoring up the Old Grammar School after rotten timber was discovered.
Narrated by Bob Harris
* * * * * * *

T.39
Town Magazine – 1978 ( 30 minutes )

A film from our archives transferred with its original soundtrack to digital video in 2011.
This film records many of the events of the year, including :-
The Tungstone Batteries factory disastrous fire in Lathkill Street:
Closing of the Ritz cinema in April:
Carnival Queen selection (Alison Chapman) and the Carnival parade:
Demolition of the old Co-operative shops in Coventry Road and High Street:
New houses and buildings: 'Expo Harborough' in the New Assembly Hall:
The Old Grammar School restoration.
Original narration by Bob Harris
* * * * * * *

T 42
When the Floods Returned ( 5½ minutes )

On the 2nd July 1958, the late Alan Smith, a founder member of Market Harborough Cine Society (now Movie Makers) made a short silent film record of the deepest floods in the town that most people could remember. This film has now been transferred to video, with an introduction and narrative added in 2009.
Narrated by Peter Wilford
* * * * * * *

T44
Jubilee Times – in Market Harborough – 1977 ( 20 minutes )

The film depicts many of the events in and around the town in June 1977 to celebrate the Queen’s Silver Jubilee.
Events covered include entertainment in Church Square by the Boys’ Brigade Band, the Drama Society and dancing troops. Street Parties in Douglass Drive, Horsefair Close, Heygate, Wartnaby, and Knoll Streets, with evening dancing in Gardiner Street and a children’s fancy dress parade in Western Avenue. Celebrations on Little Bowden Green and in the paddock next to Great Bowden Village Hall, are also covered. The film concludes with a Residents’ Barbecue in Manor Road, Great Bowden.

This film provides a great opportunity to recall and recognise faces from the 1970s.
Original narration by Chris Page.
Transferred to digital video with its original soundtrack by Market Harborough Movie Makers
in 2012.
* * * * * * *

T.47
The Parish Church Restoration In 1986        ( 8 minutes )

Mostly filmed from the scaffolding erected around the steeple, showing in detail the work of the stone masons.
Narrated by the late Canon Norman Crowe
Produced, and filmed on Super 8mm Kodachrome colour film by Peter Wilford.
Transferred to digital video with the original soundtrack in 2014
* * * * * * *

T.49
Death of a Cinema ( 1978 - 11½ minutes )

With the demolition in 2013 of the old Ritz cinema in Northampton Road, it was an appropriate time to resurrect this film from our archives. Patrons and staff are interviewed on the day it closed as a cinema - 25th April 1978 - before it became a bingo hall, and then a supermarket.
Narration and interviews by David Staples
Filmed on Super 8mm Kodachrome sound film by Ralph Harrison and Roy Newell
Transferred to digital video with its original soundtrack in 2013.
* * * * * * *

T 50
Market Harborough’s Old Swimming Baths ( 7 minutes )

The old Baths in Northampton Road (opposite Welland Park Road) closed in 1991 after nearly 100 years of service to the residents of the town. This film was shot on Super 8mm Kodak film just before the baths closed, but has been transferred to video in 2009, and the sound added.
Narrated by Steph Mastoris
* * * * * * *

T.51
Market Harborough Markets ( 1992 - 15 minutes )

Filmed in 1992, this documentary depicts the old covered stall market, and the cattle market, before they were demolished to make way for the new market hall, and Sainsbury's store and car park, as we know them today in 2013.
Researched and narrated by Frank Berry.
Filmed on Super 8mm Kodachrome film by Peter Wilford and Roy Rippin.
Transferred to digital video with its original soundtrack in 2013.
* * * * * * *

T.57
From Excavation to Education        ( 11 minutes )

Made in 1967 and first shown at the Harborough Theatre on a film projector in 1968, it was shown there again in 2017 in digital video format.  The film records the building of the new Church of England School in Fairfield Road.
The School celebrates the 50th anniversary of its opening in late August 2017.
Narrated by the late Tom Noble (Deputy Head teacher)
Filmed and Produced by Peter Wilford for the Cine Society on Standard 8mm Kodachrome film in 1966 & 1967.
Transferred to digital video, with the original sound, in 2015.
* * * * * * *

T.59
Symingtons  1901 and the 1920s            ( 10 minutes )

This is the oldest film in our archives.   The original "celluloid" film was given by R & W H Symington Ltd, the corset manufacturers, to the Museum.   It was copied onto video tape, and we converted it to digital video, for showing in public with modern equipment.  
The first part, with the workforce leaving the factory, was filmed in August 1901 by a Kettering photographer, Mr Warren East.   He showed it, with other films, to the paying public in the New Hall on The Square, for three nights in the following September.
The second part is a silent film - "A Trip through Libertyland" with sub-titles and concludes with "The Opening of Symington's Recreation Ground - 1921"
* * * * * * *

T.60
Looking Down On Market Harborough        ( 1981  -  7 minutes )

Mostly filmed from the scaffolding erected on the tower of the Symington Building at the time it was being converted into the Council Offices, Library and Museum.
Produced, and filmed on 8mm Kodachrome colour film, by Peter Wilford.
Transferred to digital video with the original soundtrack in 2015.

* * * * * * *

* * * * * * *
Market Harborough Movie Makers